Well to the ways of her household

Every week, schedule shopping into you iCal. (This cannot be normal, but I seem to love shopping so much that even grocery shopping is a highlight to my week.) Although, I don't always enjoy watching the money just go, I have found that getting the monthly (weekly, bi-weekly, however you budget) budgeted amount for grocery and household goods in cash in an envelope has been very helpful to curb overspending. The engineer and I have been faithful Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Graduates for 7+ years now and in his teaching, I learned that studies on the brain showed that people who paid for purchases with a credit or even check card activated the pleasure center of the brain as where paying for purchases with cash activated the pain center of the brain. Try it for yourself, but I am a total believer! Parting with "real money" (cash) is much more painful to me than swiping a card, even if I'm buying milk and toilet paper.
In keeping your life simple, a couple tips on shopping lists. One idea is to have a monthly (or weekly) master shopping list. I used this for years. My list looked like this:

Cleaning
Toilet Cleaner
Clean Shower
Bleach
Household
Air Freshners
Electrosol
Era
Snuggle
Shout!
Charcoal
Lighter Fluid
Garbage Bags
Napkins
Paper Plates
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Softener Salt
Hygiene
Bar Soap-Zest
Razors
Shampoo/Conditioner
Toothpaste
Floss
Gel
Hair Spray
Deodorant
Cotton balls
Contact Solution
Wipes
Bath Bubbles
Dairy
Margarine
Yogurt
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Frozen
Frozen Veggies
Frozen Pizza
Frozen Bread Dough
Baking
Flour – white & wheat
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Chocolate Chips
Oil
Produce
On Sale Fresh Fruit
Potatoes
Green Pepper
Lettuce
Others
OJ
Raisins
Peanut Butter
Mac & Cheese
Spaghetti
Chips
COSTCO
Cheddar Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Tortilla Shells
Bananas
Yeast
Milk
Butter 
Each month, I printed this list, crossed out the items we didn't need more of for the coming month and then kept the list with me when I was shopping. Of course printed out, there was room to add to my list special ingredients for recipes and requests from the family.
For a while, I used the app called Grocery iQ. It allowed me to make a list of favorites (this would be my master shopping list), add stores, access online coupons, and more. I still use this to remember what kind of oil to buy for the car and truck, and what size air filter for the furnace/air conditioner.
It was a good app, but because I'm one of "those" couponer and sale-circular shopper, I found it easier to just keep my shopping list and sale items we purchase anyway in notes on my iMail (that syncs to my iPod). It seemed quicker to me to be able to type my list on the computer when I was at home, and while on the go, be able to edit it on my iPod.

Keeping milk and juice in the fridge, healthy & nourishing snacks on hand, and yes, even HelloKitty bandaids in-stock is providing for my family. They may never notice I have them stocked, but they will definitely notice if I don't have the essentials available! Sometimes it's an overwhelming feeling but I stop to trust in God that I'm falling in-line with the example of the Proverbs 31 woman:
13 
She seeks wool and flax,    and works with willing hands. (v. 13)  
She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. (v. 14)
She rises while it is yet night    and provides food for her household    and portions for her maidens.  (v. 15)
She is not afraid of snow for her household,    for all her household are clothed in scarlet. (v. 21)
 She looks well to the ways of her household    and does not eat the bread of idleness. (v. 27)

Decide how you will organize your time and your shopping list in a style that fits you and provides well for your family.

No comments: