Joy in the rain

A cold April rain wakes me. Sitting in the quiet dark, I hear the birds begin. Same as every sunny, bright morning, the birds wail and sing their morning songs regardless of the rain. Do I sing even in the cold, disappointments and discouragements of life?
It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
to sing praises to your name, O Most High,
to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
and your faithfulness by night,
to the music of the lute and the harp,
to the melody of the lyre.
For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
at the works of your hands I sing for joy. Psalm 92:1-4
I can imagine the birds' lyrics, "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it," (Psalm 118:24). Everywhere we turn, God is and God made, so we should constantly be singing.
This week, some friends found out they are having a baby girl. Excited for them, I recalled the birth of our first golden head. And though every parent has dreams and aspirations for their children, God created that child and knows their personality, likes and dislikes. Not long after the compassionate one was born, the engineer bought her a Minnesota Twins onesie. (I'm not going to lie, our bald headed baby girl looked like a boy wearing red, white and blue.) His hope was sharing a love of sports with his daughter, including baseball. Ten years later, there are no Twins jerseys but practice for the Spring Show's Daddy Daughter Dance. The engineer could be upset, refusing to engage in her world, disappointed and stone-hearted. But he smiles, and says, "We nailed it tonight!" exchanging high-fives with his firstborn. He's "singing" for joy at the work of God's hand.

  • When it's snowing in April (or May) again; sing for joy! He's showing off His power, anything is possible.
  • When the golden head lies again; sing for joy! He trusts me to bring her up in the way she should go.
  • When I disobey again; sing for joy! He's forgiven all my sins; past, present and future. 
  • When I watch my children struggle with the same respectable sin with which I wrestle; sing for joy! He's giving me opportunity to replace consequence of generational sin (Exodus 34:7) with righteousness to my children's children (Psalm 103:17). 

What disappointment, struggle or discouragement will you choose to respond to with thankfulness and joy? Determine how your personality sings for joy: journaling, talking out loud with the Lord, walking, dancing, singing, playing an instrument, writing, photography.... God created you. He knows when your heart is singing.
Rejoice in the Lord always. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: