Arrange

Yesterday, we had a parenting moment. I told the engineer my opinion; the child at hand's natural consequence should be not getting to downhill ski with the rest of the family. I hated having to do it, but I felt we had to "call her bluff." Ultimately the decision would be his. Watching her walk to the ski lodge with a smile peeled to her face, I knew she had won. He chose to extend grace, to give a second (or thousandth) chance. I was livid! I determined in my heart that I would not ski with the family, but rather sit and read in the lodge. My reaction tore the heart of engineer between doing what he thought was right and pleasing me, his demanding wife. I sent him to fit the youngest for skis and promised I would try to calm down.

As I sat there, first, I realized it was the first time I'd even prayed during the situation. Pathetic, I know! 
The engineer was extending grace. Earlier that morning hadn't I realized how God constantly extended grace to David? David was both sinner and saint. He is a man who loved God and a man who sometimes failed. His life showed God's grace, and despite his failures, David is known as a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22). Just hours ago, I marveled at such a gracious God as He extends the same graces to me. And now, would I choose to imitate Christ?
Just a few weeks ago, a friend shared with me on submission. 
Biblical Greek for submit is hupotasso - be be under obedience or submit self unto
Hupo - under
Tasso - to arrange in an orderly manner (to let God arrange us in an orderly manner)
God made me a wife. He placed me next to the engineer and under his protective care. God protects and provides for me through my husband. Therefore, to not submit this circumstance God places me in is to not submit to God. He is using this and all circumstances to arrange me in an orderly manner. 
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Ephesians 5:22-24
God clearly was telling me, if you trust your husband and submit to him, you're submitting to me and there will be blessing. I needed to let God arrange me in an orderly manner. Good thing it took fifteen minutes to get those rentals. I choose to submit, to ski, and geared up for the cold day. And there were blessings! Multiple times on the ski hill, I found myself saying, "Thank you God, that I got to see…feel…smell…touch…"
What is God trying to arrange in an orderly manner in your life? Will you choose to submit to Christ (even if it means you have to submit to your leadership)?
What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and you do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. …Scripture says, "He yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? But He give more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves therefore to God." James 4:1-3, 5b-7a

1 comment:

Littlemas2 said...

Becky,

I love this commentary.

Thank you.