Working

I've been pondering what work will I be doing in Heaven. Our service to Him now will be evaluated to help determine how we'll serve Him on New Earth (Heaven). It thrills me to wonder, what does God think I do well here on earth so that He'll have me doing it to serve Him in Heaven? Much insight can be earned from Jesus' parable of the Ten Minas in Luke 19:11-27. First, as an amazing notice of foreshadowing, notice Jesus tells this parable to the crowds as they walked toward Jerusalem right before his triumphant entry (Palm Sunday). He says, "A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return." (v.12) How many times have I overlooked how much that foreshadows? Jesus, leaves the splendor of heaven enters earth to receive a kingdom, has left for a time and will return."Calling ten of his servants, he gave them ten minas, and said to them, 'Engage in business until I come.'" (v.13). He calls those of us who are his children and entrusts to us talents, money, time..and says work until I come back."But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We do not want this man to reign over us.'" (v. 14) Just think, five days after Jesus shares this parable, the crowd yells "Crucify Him," (Luke 23:21.) And it is true today, when people who he loves and calls to himself reject him.When the king (Jesus) returns to his kingdom, he demands to know what his servants did with their minas. He commended the servants that worked and used their gifts. He condemned the one that did not. "'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." (v. 26) I want to think that I am using the talents, gifts, money, and things God has entrusted me with here on this earth so that when I get to Heaven, I will be entrusted with more. The more I serve Him now, the greater my capacity will be to serve Him in Heaven.
So, I think about the work God has given to me now. It isn't glamorous. Important, but not glamorized in our day: driving to practice and lessons, cleaning, cooking, teaching, nursing, discipling, book-keeping, organizer, back-rubber... Colossians 3:23-24 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." But if I am put on this fallen earth to work as preparation for our work in the New Earth (Heaven) then I really am working for the Lord. It makes me smile to think that as I'm scrubbing down the refrigerator again that I am working for the Lord and in preparation for my work in Heaven. (Although, surely, kids in Heaven won't leave sticky fingerprints all over...)
I will not soon forget a recent experience with the boisterous one. Walking through Menards, drooling over the coming displays of seeds and such, I am excited for a new growing season. I used the moment to sharing with the boisterous one how I hope that when I get to heaven, I get to work in the garden. Maybe I'll even have my own vineyard. In talking about Heaven recently, she has not been sure she's so excited about it but I'd like to think my enthusiasm has been contagious as she has now changed her mind and decided maybe she'd like to be helping me with gardening in heaven. Until that glorious day, I'll be working for the Lord here on earth.

No comments: