Your plan and steps

The plan was adventurously simple: we'd hike a 5-mile trek along the Superior Hiking Trail. Not simple was the volume of people involved: twenty-four. Within ten-minutes, the first handful of our group began following a different trail on the opposite side of the river. Unable to communicate with the wayward, we did not know how long they would hike before realizing the remainder of the group (including the one with the map) were not behind them. After a rescue attempt was made and the large group reunited, the loaded question (that taught a lesson) was asked, "Who had the map?" Follow the one with the map. 
What if no one had a map? Is there a map in your life charting out your path? Such a plan would direct your decisions, money, time and resources. Without goals, we're hiking without a map. 
So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12. 
This has been the realization of my heart in the past week. As I reflect on goals that create my plans and then allowing Him to direct my steps. 
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. Proverbs 19:21. 
It would be foolish not to set goals for myself, but also unwise to not allow God to direct my steps.  
In all my ways (my goal setting) acknowledge Him and He will direct my path. Proverbs 3:6
God gave us minds to think, process, contemplate and He will use open or shut doors to direct our paths.
Before I committed to my goals, I reflected on the praises, accomplishments and victories from 2013, giving glory to God. Then I acknowledged the challenges in my life that I needed to commit to Him in 2014. These two written exercises led me to goals in multiple areas: Career, financial, family, physical, social, spiritual, intellectual. Goals should be specific, measurable, yours, time-sensitive and written down (daveramsey.com).
Each of my goals includes steps of implentation. I plan to revisit my goals in six months to measure my accomplishments. (Don't worry, it's in the iCal now.) Sometimes I don't reach my goals. Sometimes my goals change. Sometimes God closes a door. But goals must be written down.
If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time. Zig Ziglar
If you have not written down any goals for the 2014 year, select one area and write one goal along with implementing proactive steps toward achieving it.

No comments: