Study, peck

Dirty, messy and they freak me out swooping in, out and around the cool, shaded patio. Barn swallows perch on the rain gutter adjacent to the comfort of my sunroom morning reflection and study chair. I am not suppose to like these birds, but can't help admire their glistening blue silky feathers, accented with orange faces and light bellies. They are joined by specked robins in their resting place. All species participating in the same action: grooming.
Watching the study, peck, study, peck pattern, it is revealed to me: learn from the birds. They examine themselves, constantly.
Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? --unless indeed you fail to meet the test! I hope you will find out that we have not failed the test. But we pray to God that you may not do wrong...2 Corinthians 13:5-7
God seems to keep nudging me: Am I pursuing righteousness, peace and joy? God knows my heart already but am I as David in Psalm 139 opening myself to His correction?
Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting! Psalm 139:23-24
Do you have the heart of a student? Declare to God that you want to be teachable, to be aware of your faults and humbly make corrections. Every outward change begins in the depths of the heart.

No comments: